Disclaimer : I am a lover of ice cream.
I have been on a solid agenda this summers. Which is to try as many ice cream options as possible. I am trying nice creams, vegan ice creams, and all other likeable flavours possible. Last week’s pick for me was Vanilla Oreo Ice cream with Salted Caramel sauce. And NO, the sauce is not store-bought. It’s a homemade caramel sauce. Sharing the recipe for the same in this post too.
Also, i have no plans to make you drool anymore with wait. Sharing the recipe right away!
Vanilla Ice-cream (find my recipe here)
Oreo chunks- about 3/4 cup
For the caramel sauce
Granulated sugar- 1 cup
Cream – 1/2 cup
Sea salt (be generous)- 2 tsp
Softened butter- 6 tbsp
- Let’s prepare the caramel sauce first. Take a deep saucepan, add the sugar to it, and let it melt on low heat until it turns into a nice deep amber color. Keep stirring in between.
- While the sugar has melted, add the softened butter at this stage. The sugar might splatter but thats okay. Be careful. Let them combine a little and then you can add the cream.
- At this stage, the caramel composition will turn completely. Make sure you don’t burn yourself. As soon as you put the cream, increase the heat to high, boil for a minute and keep stirring alongside.
- After a minute, add the sea salt to the caramel and mix it in. The above said quantity worked just fine for my taste buds. You can taste the caramel, and increase/decrease the quantity accordingly. Store it once it cools down, in a refrigerator and it does not go bad for weeks.
- As for the ice cream, You can go through the step by step procedure of making the No Churn Vanilla Ice cream here. Simply add chopped oreos at the assembling stage.
- Transfer the ice cream to a rectangular pan, drizzle some caramel sauce (you just made it) on top, make some fun swirls in the ice cream, and let it freeze for at least 6 hour or overnight.
- Scoop out the ice cream the next day onto your favorite cones, and relish this beauty! You can also drizzle some more caramel sauce on the top, if you like.
- The caramel sauce is a super easy ingredient to make and even super delicious for your taste buds. Only, be careful while you make it and yes, do NOT underestimate the heat and dynamics of a caramelizing sugar.
- Always store the sauce in the refrigerator, packed well. Use it for any dessert topping and you won’t be disappointed.
- The reason for the salt in the sauce is because caramelized sugar is way too sweet. Salt prevents the extra sweetening of the sugar as well as acts as a preservative. Also, in absence of sea salt (although i highly recommend it), you can add 1 tsp of table salt as an option.
I have been asked for the tutorial for this sauce by some readers, and i might as well do a tutorial super soon. So stay tuned on our instagram handle and keep sharing the dishes you make with us @thegirlwhobakesofficial. Sharing is caring right :*
Until next time, Happy Baking and Happy Reading guys!